Sorry you felt it was unduly negative.  Written language is poor at
transmitting nuance.  If I had such a printer I might consider making a cover.
But I don’t and I too  live in a less populated area and the closest person I
know who has a printer is in Arizona.  I am long retired and soon will need to
be moving out of my house.  I have no professional reason to support the
purchase of a 3D printer and before long I would be needing to get rid of it
anyway.  So for me the obvious choice is to buy a cover.  And I prefer chrome
anyway.

I think my question of why is legitimate and was answered satisfactorily by
W0EB in a private email.  I will admit that my comment on 3D printers may have
seemed a bit harsh.  However, I don’t see them as common as he does (it would
be interesting to know what percentage of hams have one) and examining my own
life, short of having a business that supports one, I find it hard to see the
economic value for the average ham to have one.  My lack of Ideas does not mean
there are not compelling uses.  In fact I would love to hear from other hams as
to how they have found a 3D printer useful especially for problems for which no
other solution is available.

Again sorry if you felt offended.

Peace

73