Good Evening,

   This week was sunny and hot.  Plants and insects grew very well.  I was able to build three antennas but only raised one of them.  I am coax challenged.  A few more runs plus an antenna switch will be on order soon.  Four antennas should give me paths into much of North America.  If the bands ever strengthen the world may open up again.  I have checked in folks from European and Asian Russia, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, a few South American countries, and a few island nations in the Pacific.  There were a few African contacts with at least one from the Middle East. None, so far, from South or Southeastern Asia.  I did forget to mention both Australia and New Zealand.  I missed Antarctica but logged him via relay.

   I started the Elecraft CW Net on June 6th, 2002.  Many people have checked in over the years.  The format of the directed net was designed by N0SS, Tom Hammond (SK).  He helped for many years as an alternate net control from Missouri.  I miss him.  Wayne, N6KR, once asked me how I had kept running the net for so long.  I told him it had become a habit.  A good habit.  One where I get to meet new people and learn a bit more about the regulars.  I think I have been skunked only once and for only one of the two nets. Sometimes the bands are just too poor.  Other times folks are busy with holidays.  But I still get a few folks each week.

   Procedures have changed a little since the beginning.  I am finally learning how to run a net.  The only strict rule is to have fun.  Well, the directed net part is kind of strict too, but without some control there is chaos.  Much like the transition from laminar to turbulent flow.  A little disorder is OK as long as everyone knows who is talking to whom.  "Little whorls have lesser whirls and so on to viscosity."

  Tomorrow will be the 19th anniversary celebration of the Elecraft CW Net.  Lime jello, cookies, and cherry pie for the lucky few.  Oh and fresh sour dough bread.  Now for an entree :) The rhododendron are in full bloom as are the nicely scented False Solomon Seal.  Many species of butterflies are enjoying a feast. Both species of hummingbirds are on display (Rufous & Anna's).  So warm up your heaters and get  your tubes glowing (I can dream) and see if the bands will support comms to NW Oregon (where it is back to 50 degrees with rain).

Please join us on (or near):

14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday (3 PM PDT Sunday)    Maybe way off if I can find room.
  7047 kHz at 0000z Monday (5 PM PDT Sunday)

   73,
      Kevin. KD5ONS

-

https://www.quantamagazine.org/mathematicians-identify-threshold-at-which-shapes-give-way-20210603/