To: HB9CVQ……. Sir.
 Thanks for the Real Information on these Radio’s, will apply.
WA6VAB  Ray K3

From: hb9...@hispeed.ch
Sent: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 4:52 AM
To: 'Morgan Bailey'; 'Ray'
Cc: 'Elecraft'
Subject: AW: [Elecraft] A Clarification: IC-7300 vs FTDX10

Yes, I agree, I also prefer the FTDX101MP  (own it 1 + year/CW, SSB) and have 3
K3S/P3 Systems…..but...no such thing as perfect…here is my story from my
qrz.com blog
I now use and recommend ( e.g. DSP even Better) the YAESU May 2021 SW/FW update
now.

I own a YAESU FTDX101MP ( SW/FW upgrade April 2020 ) since 1 Year and am very
impressed by the high performance (I do SSB , also QRO CW; ragchewing/ DXing/
Contesting). This unit YAESU is partly even better than Tx / RX K3S, but not
for QSK (relays chattering) .
I would like to bring the following, unexpected findings -should get fixed
a.s.a.p.- to your attention (or did I overlook something?):
1. Voice Messages (e.g. CQ)  can be recorded e.g. in SSB and CW. Bacon Mode
(automatic , interval repeat) is only possible in CW not in SSB , very
impractical.
2. Incoming signals like QSOs cannot be recorded by the TRX directly.
3. The TX PWR Meter should read PEP not average.
4. 60m (5MHz) there is no sharp preselector available (VC Tune).  It is also
not possible to activate VC Tune on 12m, 6m.
5. RX: IPO to AMP1 to AMP2 is about a 10dB difference each step (20dB range) ,
Input RX Attenuator is correct with -6, -12, -18 dB
6. S-Meter Calibration 160m to 6m is not always real as (IARU Definition)
S9=-73dBm or 50uV/50Ohm. Yes, below S9 there are -3dB steps per S-Unit, above
S9 meter indication is correct as shown
7. The band scope needs different sensitivity settings for viewing RX and own
TX signals. If optimized for RX, you will see a completly distorted/
overloading signal in TX mode !

• 160m to 40m:  real S9 (AMP1) is more like S 7.5 on the meter, with IPO more
like S 4.5 e.g. on 40m
• 20 to 6m: real S9 is about S9 (AMP1) on the meter
• Knowing about this I can live with it, easily. On the low bands the S-Meter
is not very generous.
A much more critical issue for some RX denoising applications is …
Tricky Antenna port selection , accessibility to Input RX1 and RX2 individually
not possible (diversity or local QRM reduction by phasing?)
• There are 3 Ant. Ports.
• There is a RX1 out and RX2 out port, obviously only , individually selectable
via menu
• Normal Configuration: T1 is TX and RX Port-> measuring the RX signal
attenuation between T1 (AMP1 , ATT 0dB, VC Tune on) and e.g. RX1 out:
It varies, from 160 to 30m…15m  from -6db/-9dB,  on 12m it is suddenly +5dB, on
10m there is 0dB. On the low bands there is a considerable signal loss!
• Special RX Ant. Configuration: port One (#3) can be configured e.g. as RX on
3 only , while T1 is only transmit
• Configuration R3 (RX only: AMP1 , ATT 0dB, VC Tune on), T1 TX only. Measuring
the RX signal attenuation now between RX only import and e.g. RX1 out: -10 dB
on 160m, 80m -3dB, 60/40/30/20m -5dB, 17m -7dB, 12m +6dB, 10m +2dB.
The mostly relatively sharp frequency band selection (VC Tune) is clearly
visible.
• Problem/Dilemma with using an external RX phasing/ QRM Eliminator, there is
now a missing function of routing the Main (TX) /RX Ant 1 Signal safely through
to an RX outport (as in K3S). In FTDX101MP it is either RX all on Ant 1 or all
RX on R3.
• The phasing unit NCC1 with me has 2 channels: A noisy main Antenna, B noise
local noise pick-up by a 1m diameter magnetic broadband loop. The S/N improved,
vector combined output port signal must go to the Transceiver RX input port (
e.g. R3).
• Therefore the safe routing through of the main antenna (only Rx function ) is
badly missed here.
• Envisioned external solution: Order/Installation of a separate, “Modular
Receive Antenna Interface for Transceivers DXE-RTR-2” in front of the FTDX1001MP

I also own a Elecraft K3S and did some EMI (Electromag. Interference) coupling
experiment into the power supply (PS) port. This is another, aside from antenna
port, important EMI port and potentially causing uncontrolled RX coupling. The
effect is often overlooked. Conducted EMI -on the PS- of TRX ( Transceiver)
results in backdoor coupling , if e.g. using external 12V (13.8V DC) external
PS in a station.
Investigation: Elecraft K3S ( minus on chassis ground and grounded by terminal
(stud) to station ground => risk of loop formation with PE protective earth):
Lab-Testing in a well-controlled coupling experiment (TRX Antenna terminated
with DL 50 Ohm , 12V Battery operated-20 dB choked off, EMI injected
capacitively into TRX plus, minus on GND )
• one can show S3 on the S-Meter on 80m for already some 20mVpp CM voltage (
12V DC plus/minus input of TRX).
• In the same test on 20m it takes just 30mVpp to reach S8
We have seen over 100mVpp induced on the 13.8V DC supply voltage in a K3S
experiment 28MHz, 60W into Dummy Load 50Ohm.
Using a MDS-clamp (EMC Test 30M-1GHz, --CISPR 16-1-3--, applicable to only on
cable connection on K3S) test on the DC supply line resulted in 76dBpW ( about
40 micro Watt @28 MHz).
This test is a "simple system configuration substitute" for a radiated test. An
anechoic chamber was not available.
From this one can estimate the 100W PA shielding/filtering efficiency to be
about 62 dB [10xlg(60W/40uW)]. This is not unusual, rather reasonable and ok.
All this can easily be field/stray effect induced in a complex station
wiring-situation.
If you have only one, individual, linear power supply (with earth-minus-GND on
PE) backdoor coupling may get even more critical.
High permeability CM (Common Mode) ferrite chokes (in 13.8V DC plus/minus) will
easily saturate. Plus-amp and minus-amp will be different, because the GND (GND
K3/ Earth PE ) will carry the return current difference!
The worst configuration is to use one common Power-Supply-BUS for several TRX
(daisy chaining, forming ground coupling loops ). TRX with an internal PS (
mains operated TRX) are typically better decoupled, causing less RX EMI
backdoor input.
Hopefully you have now a better understanding for trying to de-noise your
station!