You need to Hold down DATA MD and select the right data sub-mode. It is set
per-band.

DATA A is usually the correct sub-mode for FT8. This uses the USB mode.

On 30m, you were likely using the AFSK A mode, which is similar, but uses LSB
mode. AFSK A is used for RTTY, generally.

> On Jun 19, 2021, at 6:40 PM, Carl-N8VZ <n...@qth.com> wrote:
>
> Dear OM or YL: Today I did a successful POTA activation using my K3.  I
> usually use a smaller, lower wattage rig, but decided recently to use the K3
> portable.  I've used the K3 for POTA activation three times before this week
> -- but all on SSB.  Today, I used FT8.  I first was on 20M and everything
> was quite normal.  Then I switched to 30M, and I was hearing nothing and
> friend who I was texting who lives fairly close to the park wasn't seeing my
> CQs.  I had the MODE set to DATA.  The friend suggested I switch to USB
> mode, and lo and below I started seeing signals on my screen and completed
> several QSOs.  I had used DATA mode on 20M and it worked FB. I also later
> used DATA mode on 40M.  Why didn't DATA mode work on 30M?  Is there some
> setting where I have to declare USB or LSB for each band separately for DATA
> mode? All of this seems very strange to me.  I used my K3 before for data
> modes in the shack, and I don't recall this issue.  Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.  -- 73 de Carl N8VZ
>

> --
> Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

> Message delivered to aa...@arrl.net

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net