I use a Heil GM5 mic, with the gain and compression adjusted so my lips
have to be almost touching the windscreen to drive the rig.  When a fan
blower from a big amp is going right underneath the rig, there is a limit
to gain and compression adjustments that can be made to get rid of that
much background noise.  Plus a room with hard floors makes the problem
worse (although I do have throw rug down).  This is the type of environment
where downward expansion shines.

Phase Inversion:  Perhaps I wasn't clear:  For some reason with my setup,
this Heil GM5 mic produces negative deflection on a power meter when using
AM.  Example:  you set the AM carrier at 25 watts, expecting modulation to
100 watts, but instead you observe 25 watts deflecting to 15 watts.  I
don't know why that occurs, but I do know that flipping the Invert phase
switch solves the problem.

Tim

--
Owner, worldwidedx.com