Paul,

The combo of the KRX3 and K3S is not a problem.

There is an added capacitor for the KRX3A to increase the low frequency sensitivity (by reducing the noise component) - Important to those who want to use the KRX3 for VLF operation. I believe the instructions for modding the KRX3 to the KRX3A level should be available on the Elecraft website. The capacitor is a low profile large value tantalum type.  It is soldered near the center of the board.

73,
Don W3FPR