Have any of you with key chasing problems tried putting the key on a piece of a mouse pad?  Don't be afraid to cut it, it is an inexpensive solution (sometimes free). I use a key with a very heavy base (Tony Baleno key) and do not have a problem even though I am a 'slap paddles' type. Try the mouse pad right side up and 'wrong side up' and see what happens.  I have the spacing on Tony's single lever paddle set quite close and have no problems with it even when slapping the paddle. With a lighter weight key, you can try it first with a full mouse pad, and the cut it only after you find it works.

I highly recommend Tony's keys if you are in the market for a quality set of paddles - they are not inexpensive, but quality counts a lot.  The Begali keys are good too, but the keying grips are set too low for my tastes.  I progressed from a bug and like to do the 'wrist roll' when operating the paddles - that means I need to have the handle(s) about 1.5 inches above the table.  Tony has several varieties of both single lever and dual lever paddles - he is a a quality machinist.

73,
Don W3FPR