On 7/10/2021 12:59 PM, Bob McGraw wrote:
Sure, power strips are inexpensive.  But they really only protect against one type of power surge.   If the voltage spikes, the breaker should trip. However, this isn’t always instantaneous.  Delicate devices can still be damaged, and many other types of surges will just pass right through without tripping the  surge protector.  Not the best solution. Despite being called a surge protector, this name doesn’t give you the whole story.  These don’t even come close to the protection whole house surge protectors offer you.

The problem with MOV protectors is FAR greater than what is outlined above. MOV "protectors" dump any spikes onto the equipment ground (green wire), and the resulting IR drop raises the potential of the equipment it is intended to protect. When that equipment is connected to other equipment plugged into a different outlet, the DIFFERENCE in potential between their their chassis can cause stuff to fry. The same thing can happen when one or more pieces of the interconnected equipment has a ground connection, but is not bonded to the other gear.

Properly bonding all equipment within a station minimizes the potential differences between the gear, AND if an MOV protector is used, must be bonded as well. N0AX and I finished working through this while finishing the latest revision of his ARRL book on Grounding and Bonding, and it's in both versions. I don't know if the new one is out yet.

At least 20 years ago, professional sound companies and designers of large sound systems learned all this the hard way. Luckily, a new type of protector had been invented -- a SERIES MODE protector that does not dump the surge on the Green Wire, but instead stores it in the magnetic field of a big inductor, then discharges it slowly after the surge event. These protectors are much more expensive, but cost a lot less than the gear they protect! When I was a consultant designing large systems, I specified them for every project. And I have used them in my home (for computers and home entertainment system), office (when I was still working), and in the shack.

SurgeX is the company that developed products for pro audio. I use the SA-20 (20A version of the SA15).

https://www.fullcompass.com/brand/sgx-surgex/

Years ago, I did some technical writing for them, producing this tutorial "White Paper." I was specifying them for the systems I designed LONG before writing it.

73, Jim K9YC