There was a post to this maillist over a year ago which said that the most frequent casualty of lightning strikes in the K3S was the USB chip and associated circuitry. The recommended "fix" was to unplug the USB cable from the back of the radio when it was not in use.

Applying this fix to a remote station is an interesting exersize. I think a 4 poll relay that grounds the connections to the radio while letting the bus float might be the best solution. It could be activated by the 12V output from the radio.

73 Bill AE6JV