the LCD on the front panel board. The LCD that came with my kit has the clear
strip
mentioned on the front (display) side, but on the back side it has an opaque
strip with
no markings on it. Should this opaque strip be removed or left in place?

If it is a thin plastic film (similar to saran wrap) on the back of
the display that can be easily removed, then you can remove it, as
described in the 4th step (paragraphs with a check-box) on the left
column, of page 27.

Do *not* attempt to remove the thick plastic material on either side.

With my K2 (#5438) I don't remember a opaque plastic film on the back of it.

-Michael Taylor, VE3TIX