Here, the XYL uses  cheap 80 proof Vodka to 'awake' vanilla bean seeds.  She has a bunch of vanilla beans and when soaked in alcohol for about 2 months (shaken every day), it makes vanilla extract. She was doing commercial baking when she acquired the vanilla beans because it was MUCH less expensive than purchasing vanilla extract from the store. When she quit baking, she had left over beans, so we have lots of vanilla extract on hand.

OK, back to the subject at hand, I used to use 190 proof Everclear for cleaning boards - still applied only as necessary and with a q-tip in the area to be cleaned, blot with a paper towel.  But I can no longer get that strength in the local liquor store, they only sell 180 proof (don't want to travel to South Caroline just to get some).  So I use other sources of alcohol.  Whatever dissolves the flux buildup does the job.  If you are very careful, you can use acetone, but it will melt silkscreening and get under components if it gets to the top of the board - apply only with a q-tip in the area of concern on the bottom of the board. I had one repair here where the customer used something for flux removal.  It got under ICs and relays and caused multiple leakage paths.  I was about to declare it non-repairable, but he was willing to pay the cost of lifting components and cleaning.

Remember that rosin flux is non-conductive until it is mixed with a "flux cleaner" - use only in a specific area (do not flood the board), and dry the area after application.  Make certain ALL the flux was removed from the area - if there is any residue, it can be conductive, leading to leakage paths.  Let it dry and look for 'whitish' stuff.  If there is any, you have not done a complete job.

73,
Don W3FPR