Dave and all,

Placing the fuse near the power supply end is the way to do it.
In the event of a short, the power wire can spew metal and start a fire.
Always fuse near the power supply.  A fuse at the equipment end will only protect the equipment, but will expose the wire from the power supply to hazards.

73,
Don W3FPR