Tom,

As an experiment, try tuning the KX3 to a valid ham band like 160 meters in AM mode, then switch to CW.
What happens?

1.000 MHz is in the middle of the AM broadcast band, so that is not a good example.  I am thinking perhaps this is built into the KX3 firmware to prevent transmitting CW on the AM broadcast band - but that is just a guess.

73,
Don W3FPR