Thanks all for the great advice and the further reading.

In my specific case of K3S + KPA500 + KAT500, is there no room to reduce the
high performance W3NQM filters?

I understand common mode filters and have made good versions of these from K9YC
cookbook. They remain in circuit all the time, so that's easy, whilst NQN
filters have to be replaced for each band change, so, even I want to have a
quick peek at another band, it still takes minutes to swap around the filters
with the other station. It's a painful loss of time and prone to getting it
wrong. Building a lower specification filter set with relay switching would be
easier.

David G3UNA