Jerry,

What is the serial number of that K2?  If below SN 3000, it likely does not have the alternate AF gain wiring.
In any case, with those symptoms, replace tha AF Gain pot.

Check to see if the KPA100 has the latest updates.  The instructions for the KPA100UPPKT will tell you. Also check for the latest KPA100 shield.  The latest shield has spring clips to ground it to the base K2 (sand the paint off the contact places) -- also check for the width of the slot above the SO239 jack, it should be narrow (a bit over 1/8 inch).  If it is the older wide slot, replace the shield with the KPA100SHLDKT.

You can use the K2ATOBKIT instructions to check for other upgrades - be sure to check all the mod kits that are listed on the 1st page of the ATOB instructions.  Also check the markings on the crystals both on the RF Board and the KSB2 adapter - if they are maked with a "-S" suffix, they are the latest. You can check the firmware level for the base K2 easily - hold any button down while powering on and the MCU and KIO2 levels will be briefly shown in the display - the latest is 2.04r MCU and 1.09 KIO2.

If you do not remember how to disassemble the K2 to get to the headphone jack, take a look at https://www.qsl.net/wy3a/Replace_K2_Headphone_Jack.htm.

73,
Don W3FPR