Doug,

Please read this whole post.  If you have questions about any part of it, please ask.

A Hi Cur message does not mean that the PA transistors are in danger.
All it means is that the current draw is greater than what is set in CAL CUR.

Set CAL CUR to 3.5 for most operation, and all should be OK.  If you have 'special conditions', like when running on a battery, you might want to set CAL CUR to a lower value to indicate that the battery voltage is getting low. Check your power source voltage at the K2 end - ideally it should be 13.8 or even higher.

What does the voltage have to do with the current draw, you may ask -- The K2 attempts to maintain the power output requested by the Power knob.  Do a little ohms law - if for a power of 10 watts, you need 13.8 volts and 2.5 amps, if your voltage during transmit drops to 12.7 volts, the current MUST go up to maintain that 10 watts output.  The K2 firmware does just that, and if the current increases above the CAL CUR setting, it will flash the HI CUR message and fold the power back.  That is how the K2 protects the PA transistors.

When operating on batteries with CAL CUR set at 2.5, you can expect a HI CUR message at 10 watts.

So check your power source voltage in transmit (use the K2 display to see the internal voltage) and if you have less than 12.7 volts, that is reason for the Hi CUR message.

You can increase the CAL CUR setting to 3.5 with no harm - in fact, that is what the setting should be if the KPA100 is installed.  CAL CUR and HI CUR relate only to the base K2, and not to the KPA100 - that is an indication that a CAL CUR setting of 3.5 is not a problem.  When I was repairing K2s, I always set CAL CUR at 3.5 even if they were only a K2/10.

73,
Don W3FPR