From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Ed Cole
Sent: Sunday, 31 October 2021 7:26 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] feeding a half-wave dipole with ladder line

Bob,

Either you did not read what I wrote carefully enough, or I did a poor job of
explaining.

First off:  I an not a HF DX chaser or HF Contest junkie.  HF is a very
occasional activity when I want a casual chat or check in a local net.
Thus a compromise antenna for the "low bands".

The existing 80/40m dipole is a fan dipole with 80 and 40m wires.  I plan the
new setup  to run 40m at right angles for less interaction between them (been
there done it experience).

If all I wanted to do is 80/40 I would install the existing 1:1 balun at the
feed and run coax to it.

But I was thinking I could use window wire (commercially made) instead of the
12-inch parallel wires I show in the diagram.  Whatever its impedance (probably
like 300-ohm or 450).

By shorting the ladder line I could feed the antennas as a shortened vertical
on either 160m or 630m where the dipole wire would add "top-hat" loading.
Similar to how the horizontal wire in an inverted-L works.

I already have my 630m loading coil to use at the base; adding a tap it could
work at 160m.

I have vacuum relays to do the shorting.  And yes there will be radials that
are too short on 630m (1/4 wave is 522 feet and my property is 200x
300 foot).

My question regarded choosing a proper balun to use on 80 & 40m.
Running 140 foot of ladder wire on diagonal to the shack defeats using it as a
vertical.  Ideal would be a QRO ATU at the ground-end of the vertical wires
(but I'm too cheap for that).  I have a QRO Drake Tuner to do the job at the
shack.  I'll try out my 1:1 balun.

73, Ed - KL7UW