I don't see how a common mode choke would help in that situation. If the noise changes that dramatically depending upon where you have the antenna pointed, that strongly suggests that the noise is being received by the antenna and is not riding on the shield of the coax.  If it is received by the antenna it is differential in nature and a common mode choke won't do anything.

It sounds like you are being plagued by either a local noise source, or the atmospheric noise is much stronger in one direction.  In my case, the background noise during the middle of the day is always stronger east versus west even though there isn't any significant housing or businesses within 200 miles east of me.

73,
Dave   AB7E