I’ve scanned back through this thread and I don’t see where anyone said that
their signal got stronger by lowering their antenna.  Maybe I missed it
somewhere?

To be clear, in my specific case, I was crafting a purpose-driven antenna. I
wanted an antenna that would provide reliable, continuous coverage over about a
400+ mile radius. I did not want to hear, or be heard by, anything or anyone
outside of that area. I didn’t care about efficiency, QSL cards or anything
else, mythical or otherwise.  Putting a dipole at about 10 feet (plus or minus,
I don’t recall the exact height) accomplished everything I wanted. I worked, on
a daily basis, hams at all points along the length of the State of Hawaii, I
experienced reduced band noise, and I did not have to contend with stations
outside of this area. Problems solved. I don’t think any of this contradicts
science.

73,
Dave - N5DCH