Of course my Hakko 808 is a lot easier.  Clean the inside of the Hakkko tip after a few toroids.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 12/24/2021 11:25 AM, Douglas Hagerman via Elecraft wrote:
How hot does the solder need to be to burn off magnet wire insulation? I have
my soldering station set to 710 degrees, and that does not seem to be enough
when I try the “blob on end of iron” method.

Doug, W0UHU.

On 24Dec, 2021, at 8:47 AM, jerry <je...@tr2.com> wrote:

On 2021-12-23 20:49, SteveL wrote:
Jerry,
Years ago when I built my K2, somewhere I learned a Hakko 808
desolating tool was also an excellent enameled wire stripper and
tinning device.   The 808 has been replaced by the FR-301 but I would
expect similar results from this newer tool.  Either are stand-alone
desoldering guns with heated hollow tip and built in vacuum.
*** And there are Chinese copies available.  I got one, it works just
fine.  I never thought of using it to strip magnet wire!  Gotta go try that.

The spinning stripper tool works great for wire thicker than 24AWG or so.  But
for
thin "receiver" wires it just breaks them off.

                     - Jerry KF6VB

Message delivered to d...@w3fpr.com