I believe that water-soluble flux does indeed need to be washed off to prevent corrosion.  That's what HP used (probably still uses) on production PC boards.

However, RA (rosin activated) or RMA (rosin mildly-activated) fluxes that are used in repair and rework (or homebrew projects) may be left in place.  They only need to be removed for cosmetic purposes. In fact, attempting to remove the flux with alcohol or another solvent can actually cause problems if the removal process is not complete.

Alan N1AL