You may or may not consider this logical, but: The description of the
transmitter gain calibration procedure in the manual does not call up any
special calibration menu. It just says transmit a carrier at exactly 5.0
watts or exactly 50 watts. Apparently the firmware uses these power level
settings as a trigger to do a gain calibration.

Not wanting to do unexpected gain calibrations while operating, I have
always set my power to 4.9 watts when I want to operate QRP, and to 49
watts if I want to operate at 50 watts.

I am fairly sure I saw a post here by one of the elecraft techs about this
not so very long ago.

73,
Rich VE3KI

N7WS wrote:

It is not in the manual, but has appeared here many times, without logical
explanation.

Wes   N7WS