Hi, Peder.

Absolutely give QRP a try with your K3s. I have set up PF1 and PF2 to be
able to switch quickly between 5w and 100w.  Great receiver.  If you have a
P3, working split becomes so much easier than on my K2 where I have to
toggle A and B VFOs.

You will be surprised at how much fun you can have with 5w.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 11:22 PM Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com> wrote:

> Hi Peder,
>
> I encourage you to try QRP, especially with the high bands as hot as
> they've been in a long time. And don't stop at 5 W! If a band is open you
> can make contacts with 1 W, or even 0.1 W. For example, if you hear a
> station at S9 and they're using 100 W, you'll be roughly 30 dB down at his
> end if you use 1 W. That's 30 dB/6 dB per S-unit = roughly 5 S-units, or
> S-4. Perfectly copiable if there's no serious QRM/QRN.
>
> I believe the world record for worked-all-continents is 17 *microwatts* by
> a JA ham.
>
> Once the K3S is calibrated at 5 W on all bands, setting any other power
> level will be accurate. If you set power to 4.0, you'll get very close to
> 4.0 W.
>
> We do this at the factory, or you did it yourself if you built the kit.
>
> You can always recalibrate at 5 and 50 W at any time by doing a TUNE into
> a lower with SWR < 2.0. But doing it more than once should not be
> necessary. You can avoid the question entirely by using 4.8 or 5.2 watts
> instead of 5.0 W, etc.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> > On Mar 2, 2022, at 7:45 PM, Peder Kittelson <peder.kittel...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have been thinking of playing around with QRP and wonder how to do 5
> > watts on the K3s without needing to recalibrate the gain each time.  How
> do
> > people do 4 watts QRP with a K3s??
> >
> > --
> > Peder Kittelson, W7RPK

> > Message delivered to n...@elecraft.com

> Message delivered to clark.macau...@gmail.com

Clark, WU4B
Little Pistol With Wires
QRPARCI #10815
SKCC #3892
NAQCC #5055
CWOPS #1869
Collins Collectors #AC90-12432
Southeastern DX Club <http://www.sedxc.org>
North Georgia QRP Club <http://www.nogaqrp.org>

*"It is vain to do with more what can be done with less."*
*Attributed to *William of Occam (1288 AD - 1348 AD)