Morgan,

    Wow! That's a LOT of very useful information. While my situation doesn't include an amp, I like your comment about not being able to "kill" the Mercury III's. I'll keep that in mind.

    Well, thank you (and everyone else!) for these responses! Now I have some thinking to do and a decision to make. If the FTDX-101D really can help with my particular noise, that would be great... I'll have to really think about that! It means I'd have to sell the Flex (I'm already in the process of selling my vintage Drake equipment). We'll see!

    Thanks again!

    k WB9FMC