Thanks to everyone who responded.  I finally found the PWR SET menu option.  I would have thought that the NOR setting would be per band, to facilitate quick QSY, but sure enough, mine was set to NOR (or presumably "fixed") with PER BAND being the alternative. Everything is fine now - after 8-9 years with this radio, still finding things I don't understand.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.