W0YK wrote:
The KWM-380 may have been a "hot radio" in some people's minds, but I can
personally attest to the opposite.  I have one, along with a number of
KWM-2As and S-Lines.  The 380 is a horrible performer.  The receiver is
incredibly noisy, obstructing reception of all but the loudest signals.
The audio is distorted and filtering is poor.  Collins' last hurrah was a
dud.

Hi Ed,

I don't recall ever telling you this but your 380 also had horrible TX
phase noise. In the early 80s, we were located within 5 miles of each other
in CO, both running amps. Whenever you transmitted on 80 or 160, the phase
noise would cover the entire CW bands. I don't recall what you replaced the
380 with but I was a very happy camper when you did!

I take pride that my KSYN3A-updated K3 is still one of the cleanest CW
signals on the bands.

73, Bill W4ZV (ex-W0ZV)