Has anyone thought of, or tried modifying the K2 Noise Blanker to be an additional K2 IF amplifier stage?

My problem is that when I really, really need the crystal filter, I am trying to copy a very weak (but readable) CW signal with adjacent S-9 QRM. When I switch in tighter than about 1200 Hz of crystal filtering, I tend to lose the target signal due to filter loss. ( Losing the target signal is not because the BFOs are not properly calibrated).

When I use just the DSP filter to block the adjacent S-9 QRM, then I still lose the target DX due to AGC "pumping" (without the IF "roofing" filter). I'd really like some additional IF gain to compensate for the crystal filter loss.

I would try using the Noise Blanker's U1, MC1350, as the added IF stage, and use U3, the Controller's decoded program lines to adjust U1's AGC input for front panel gain control. I could use P1's pin 8, 8R, as power for the MC1350 so that it's only active on "receive".

 Any feedback would be appreciated.

 73, Dick, AD7AF

Dick and Marty Lemke
PO Box 1038