Yes, FT-8 is a weak signal mode.  I run near legal limit on 2M to a nice array just to have a weak signal off of the moon.   Low power just won't get it.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 6/6/2022 11:29 AM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
From:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net  <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net>  on behalf
of Kevin Robertson via Elecraft<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2022 6:52 AM
To: Rick NK7I<rick.n...@gmail.com>
Cc:elecraft@mailman.qth.net  <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA1500 reduces power as it gets warmer?

FT8 is a weak signal mode, designed for low power. Given its high duty cycle,
you are asking for trouble if you operate your power amplifier in FT8 mode
using your KPA1500 at anywhere near high power. I burned out my final on my K2
at 15 watts on FT8.

73,
Kevin Robertson KD2WCY

--
IF ONE EXPECTS COMPUTERS AND TECHNOLOGY TO SOLVE THEIR PROBLEMS,
ONE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND COMPUTERS AND TECHNOLOGY