Evening all...

After a busy morning dealing with work-kinda stuff, it was too hot here in Carson to get The Girl (my dog) out for walkies. So we stayed indoors until the sun moved to the west and drove me from my workroom.

We drove north from Carson City to Washoe Lake State Park. It is a designated POTA park. I parked on the west side of the lake and got The Girl out for a nice walk along the shore. The wind was blowing from the west (that Washoe Valley wind that actually *blows*) but my hat remained affixed to my head. The Girl's ears did flap a bit, though.

We returned to the rig and I pulled my foldable rocking chair from the back and set it up. She rested on the sand while I contemplated the lake for a half-hour or so. It really was a gorgeous afternoon... warm, but not too much in the shade of the 4Runner's hatch and the Washoe Valley wind.

Shortly after 0000Z, I got out my folding table and set the KX2 up. I ran a 29ft wire to the top of a SOTAbeams 6m carbon fiber mast on its stake (no guys) and threw another wire on the ground. The KX2 readily tuned up 40m with *the internal tuner*. My hair (what there is of it) did not catch fire, nor did I break out in hives. I spotted myself on the POTA.app and started calling CQ.

I worked a couple of stations on 40m, then turned my attention to 30m. Again, there were no untoward effects from using the internal ATU to get a match on my 29ft wire/counterpoise combination. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

The 30m band was a little more noisy that 40m, but my respot and CQ netted me another couple of contacts. When I fished the hole dry, I tuned to 14.059MHz and called QRL? a couple of times. The internal ATU seems to work just fine. My eyes never crossed once, I swear.

I then respotted myself on the POTA.app and started calling CQ. The 20m band was quite noisy so I dialed in a little NR and started working stations. My buddy K7ULM worked me from Montana and WAS LOUD. Another buddy in St. Louis, KB9LLD, worked me but it was a hard contact. The 20m band was the most productive this evening and I made maybe ten contacts or so, more than enough for my POTA quota and all with 10w.

Stations worked ranged from California to Florida with signal reports from just barely copyable to 599.

I sure am glad I learned Morse Code the last couple of years. I sure am glad I have an Elecraft KX2. I'm really grateful for the internal ATU and Wayne's advice to use a 29ft wire.

The Girl and I left Washoe Lake SP about 2000h local. We drove down to Francisco's in Carson City and sat on the patio (dogs are welcome). The enchiladas were good as was the margarita grande.

Although I didn't feel very good much of the day and there was a lot of work needing my attention, at the end of the day I spent time outdoors with The Girl, played a little radio, activated the park, enjoyed the park, the weather, and the radio play, and ended the day with enchiladas and a margarita.

I am grateful. Life is good. POTA on...

73 de AG7TX...

--
David Thompson, AG7TX