From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Drew Arnett
Sent: Saturday, July 2, 2022 2:08 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Heil Pro 7 headset with KX3 - RF feedback?

Ignored this for quite a while, but came back to take a look this morning.
Sharing in case it helps someone else out in the future.

I think the jack on the headset itself has an intermittent and/or faulty
connection.  That's why trying the straight cable (which I never use) as
Heil suggested didn't help me narrow it down before.  (I always used the
curly cable and left the straight one in the box.)

Symptoms I see today:

KX3 on battery.  RF power level set to 0 watts (so no RF feedback of
course).  Mon set to 4.

Gear:  Pro 7 headset.  Heil Y cable (for mic/foot switch) but using the
little hand/button switch Heil includes, a cheap pair of Walkman style
earphones, and a homebrew electret handmic (that also requires 5V bias).

No difference between curly cord that I normally use and the straight cable
that I never took out of the box.

In all cases, I use the Y cable.

Notice the combinations that work and don't work:
* walkman head phones & homebrew handmic - works OK
* walkman head phones & pro 7 mic - works OK
* pro 7 headphones & homebrew handmic - works OK
* pro 7 headphones & pro 7 mic - ***PROBLEM***

I suspect the feedback path is due to wiring fault causing the headphone
audio return to share path with microphone return causing IxR coupling.  (I
hate the term ground loop, but there you go.)

Wiggle testing.  Nothing at the jack/plug interfaces on the radio (mic,
headphone).  Nothing on the jack/plug interfaces on the Y cable.
Ah, the jack/plug on the headset definitely has some sort of mechanical
intermittent at the least.  And it does for both the curly cable and the
straight cable.  So, it's the headset and not the cable.
:-(

So, off to Heil for repair.  (Looks like snap plastic/spudger tool work,
which I'm not really interested in doing.)  Or to perhaps shop for something
more reliable?

Best regards,

Drew
n7da