Finally, a sensible post about this.

It is funny that we argue about the purpose of amateur radio, because (for US
amateurs) it is spelled out in FCC regulations. There are five purposes, two
technical, one about technical and communication education, one about public
service, and one about international goodwill. An amateur doing any one of
those is solidly within the purposes of their license. An amateur following the
regs and good practice and having fun on the air is also doing just fine in my
book, even if they don’t know Amps from Volts.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-97

Heartily agree about RS-232. When I got back into the hobby, I was appalled at
all the serial control. The very last time that I used RS-232 with a computer
was in 2001, rebuilding the kernel on an HP-UX server at Inktomi. I threw away
my collection of RS-232 connector shells and crimp pins not long after that.
Imagine my surprise when I was looking at rigs in 2009.

Anybody who’d like to learn more is welcome in the Amateur Radio Elmers group
on Facebook. We welcome your questions and have zero tolerance for bad behavior.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/483873128439168

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood