On 2022-08-24 14:23, David Gilbert wrote:
Several years ago before my house was fully completed, I had my coax
lines disconnected but just lying on the concrete floor of the room I
had my ham gear in.  I usually had those lines terminated in a short,
but one day as a storm was approaching (it was still at least five
miles away) I noticed that the line from the 80m dipole didn't have
the shorted PL-259 on it.  I bent down with one hand on the concrete
floor and reached for the insulated casing on the coax with the other
hand.  My free hand swept by the end of the coax, though, and I drew a
very bright, very thick, and very blue 2 inch long arc to my hand ...
which of course traveled through my body to the other hand that was on
the floor.  My biceps were sore for three days afterward.

*** Ouch. I actually have a high-ohms resistor that I plan to put at the
base of my vertical, just to drain off static.

Once upon a time, I was working on a homebrew linear with 4 811A's. It was oscillating and making noise during receive. I was spudging at the plate wires trying to get it to quiet down when....ZAP! I swear I didn't touch anything, it reached out and touched ME. Knocked me across the room, paralyzed both my arms.

One of the most endearing things about my solid state linear projects is that there's nothing in there that will kill me. Just 53V.

             - Jerry, KF6VB