Yup....  Glad my hutch/desk are on ball bearing transfers.... Because I remove EVERY cable/wire too.  A year ago March I lost over 20k in electronics, et al from a lightning strike on a TREE 20 feet from the UN-GROUNDED pedestal.  I'm STILL fighting them to recover.  And with a FULLY stuffed K3s/P3 and NO SPARES, I keep a close eye on it.

Clay E. Autery, Jr.
KY5G

On 8/24/2022 1:20 PM, Nick - WB5BKL wrote:
What Dave said.  Almost identical here.

Now, during t-storms, the K3 is a box sitting on the desk with _nothing_  repeat _nothing_ connected.  If I thought wrapping it with tinfoil* would help...

cln - Nick
WB5BKL
Lake Buchanan, TX

*  One of my neighbors has a plentiful supply.

On 8/24/22 11:49, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Message: 9
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:47:24 -0700
From: David Gilbert<ab7echo@za*****.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3] KIO3 failure mode

When my KIO3 got zapped, I had everything disconnected.? Antenna and all
accessories from the K3 ... power supply as well.? The one thing I
didn't have disconnected was the RS-232 link between the laptop and the
KIO3.? Somehow a transient from a nearby lightning strike (not a direct
one to my tower) traveled through the laptop power brick and to an
otherwise completely floating K3.? If I remember correctly, the laptop
power supply was even plugged into a quality surge protected UPS.

It takes very little to zap the KIO3.? I now disconnect EVERYTHING in
the shack during lightning season.

Message delivered to k...@montac.com