I haven't done much portable operation except for Field Day, and when I do I have access to tall trees for some pretty good wire antennas ... including wire yagis.

But I did make a portable vertical antenna that I can set up anywhere.  It uses four 4' long 1/2 inch diameter aluminum tubes that fit together end to end, sitting on top of another 4' long 1/2 inch diameter graphite rod as a base.  Four radial wires act as guys for the top of the graphite rod, and four thin nylon lines act as guys about 2/3 of the way up the vertical.  The radials and the nylon guys lead to the same four stakes (or rocks, as the case may be).  I've timed myself and I can put it up by myself in about ten minutes, and everything fits in a backpack except for the five 4' lengths that I can easily carry as a bundle with one hand as I walk.  It feeds very easily with the tuner in my KX2.  It was of course designed for 20m, but I've also been able to get a good match with the tuner on 40m and 15m.

I couldn't care less about pedestrian mobile, and it's no more hassle for me to carry that antenna to set up somewhere than it would be to carry a hiking stick.  The heaviest antenna item in the backpack are the stakes.

I once set the antenna up on my deck and monitored PSK Reporter for FT8 signals on 20m over the course of 24 hours.  I got hundreds of hits across the entire U.S., of course, but also dozens in Europe, dozens in southeast Asia, a couple in Africa, and 8 or so in central Asia.  I can send you the screenshot if you'd like.

Maybe some day I'll make a YouTube video of setting it up and making contacts to see how far I can get with it.

Dave  AB7E