Sounds like a thermal problem, possibly with the 8v regulator. I have a problem
with my K3 (S# 4K range). If the rig is cold ~60 F the 8v apparently goes out
of regulation evidenced by the display illumination dimming on key down. The
rig works normally otherwise. The problem goes away once the FP Temp warms a
little - I wrote the number down somewhere but can’t find it now.

Good luck & 73,
Brian, K0DTJ