GM Joe,

It can't be solved. The SSB and/or Data at that AF MARS frequency  is just
slightly below the band pass filter change over to the 5.3 bandpass filter
on the KPA500. That means that when you are on SSB, part of your rf envelope
crosses over to the 5.3 band filter which causes the amp to switch to the
higher bandpass (5.3) and when the rf at the frequency stops, the amp
switches back to the 3.5 bandpass. It is not that noticeable at SSB
operations because most men's vocal range does not stay or reach up high
enough to trigger the switch. On data, however it's a different story. Since
the M101 waveform has a bandwidth of 2.8 KHz, your signal is almost always
going to cross over that "flash point" causing the amp to go from OPER to
STBY and vice-a-versa. There is a slight delay in the switching because of
what I believe, are the high and low thresh holds of the filter frequency
change point. There is also some delay in the changeover since again, what I
believe is a hardware/software operation which says "I know you have change
to a higher/or lower frequency, but I am not going to change to the correct
band pass filter until - say 100 milliseconds later, because you might not
have meant to do this". That's just a rhetorical guess on my part.

I brought this problem up with Elecraft some time ago so they know about the
MARS Radio. Elecraft said there could be a software solution to move the
trip points up a little bit. There were not, however, going to do it
because the demand for the change is too low, there would be a lot of effort
to test the modification and finally, it would be a another parallel version
of the product to maintain.

Hope this helps

With best regards,

Jerry, W1IE, AFA3GK