While this article is for the K4, the exact same should be done for the K3 to stop accidental keying during boot up of the OS.

I suggest that you do this for ALL of your USB ports and while you're there, also defeat (turn off, uncheck) power savings mode (once turned off, it won't restart until the next reboot, negating it's value to less than zero), again on ALL of your USB devices (hubs, ports etc).

73,
Rick nk7i

Use Windows Device Manager (run devmgmt.msc) to change the Advanced properties of both of the K4 FTDI virtual serial ports: Uncheck Serial Enumeration Check Disable Modem Control At Startup Details and rationale here, with screenshots: https://bit.ly/FTDItip