On 2022-12-06 10:54, Edward Mccann wrote:

Clearly case of stimulation of overactive ham hormone resisting
disposal of anything looking potentially useful.

*** That happened to me! I was working at a railroad electronics shop. It
was around 1985.

One day, the boss decided to clean house. Among the many goodies I rescued
from the dumpster were

* 4 Large 48VCT power transformers
* A berry box of TO-3 PNP Darlington transistors
* A giant heat sink, drilled for TO-3 transistors

...So I built a power supply. I bolted 5 of those Darlingtons to the monster heatsink, put them in parallel with emitter resistors, in the negative leg of the output of my bridge rectifier, which was bolted to a thick aluminum bottom plate. This allowed me to ground the collectors of the transistors and dispense with insulating washers. Using the input taps of the power transformer, I was able
to adjust it for just the right head room.

That supply did 20A with no fuss whatsoever. I think it was actually capable
of 40A.

This year, I dug it out of the junk, powered it up - and it still works! Not
only that, it was 12.000V.

Another use I found for this stuff - the flea market had yielded up a mint condition Galaxy V transceiver. But it had no power supply. I took apart one of those big 48V
power transformers and rewound it, to make a supply for the V.

                     - Jerry, KF6VB

Thanks all!

Ed McCann
AG6CX