On 12/17/2022 1:49 PM, jerry wrote:
Not to mention that pilots call them David "Clamp" Clarks.  Aviation
headsets in general are not the epitome of comfort.

I had a set of those clamps  (Vice Grips) once but I found a buyer.

  Small airplanes are like sitting in a steel garbage can
while people pound on it with hammers.

My dad wanted me to learn to fly before I learned to drive and had already arranged my lessons.  That was a long time ago and light planes didn't appeal to me at all.  As you say lots of noise and painfully slow.  i was more interested in ham radio, fast cars and girls.  Dad learned to fly at a small dirt airstrip in Benson, AZ in 1946.  (I still have his log book)  His instructor was a guy named Neil S. "Skeet" Taylor.

Fast forward 75 years.  I have a close neighbor, Nelson, (1/4 mile away is close in my neighborhood) who I knew was a pilot, but I didn't know him well at all.  Last New Years Eve another neighbor hosted a party and Nelson was there. We struck up a conversation, mostly about his flying  (he's a pro).  I mentioned that my late father had a private license, but since we were poor he didn't fly much and I was never interested.

When I  happened to mention the name Skeet Taylor, a strange look came over Nelson's face. I stopped what I was saying and in a low voice Nelson said, "Skeet Taylor was my stepdad."  Small world.

Wes  N7WS