Andy,

My observations here are consistent with yours -- I regularly see Doppler on either side of a signal, sometimes even both sides, which would be consistent with multiple aircraft. And without Doppler, I always see low level sidebands on locals that are approximately symmetrical with the P3/SVGA cranked to minimum span. Last season, Trey and I were seeing a neighbor being much wider than normal. Trey went to his shack to help him figure it out while I watched on the P3. It was coming from his Expert amp, and we managed a modest improvement. If I'm remembering correctly, he was running the amp on the low voltage setting.

73, Jim K9YC