Lightning can’t tell whether something is grounded because the energy pulse
hasn’t gotten that far yet.

Lightning induces a current in every nearby conductor. When that pulse of
current reaches a building or electronics, we want to provide a low impedance
path to a safe sink (ground rods) and a high impedance path to the equipment (a
choke). A lightning arrestor is a temporary low impedance path to ground for
conductors that aren’t normally grounded.

The best high impedance path is disconnecting your equipment. That won’t stop a
direct strike, because that will induce currents in the disconnected equipment.
But it will help almost all the time.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood