Protecting your equipment goes beyond a direct strike.  I had an element in
my K3 transmit final wiped out by a lightning strike a good distance away.
I wasn't on the air at the time but I remember the strike.  This was
through a pair of Alpha-Delta switches.

Sometimes I miss "the good old days" of vacuum tube rigs when I operated
during thunderstorms ;-)

Ken WA8JXM