"So now I open again for other suggested headsets in the $100 range. The CM500
was a gaming headset so that could be a source. This is going to be a gift for
a friend who badly needs something.

Any more ideas?"

I had been using my Yamaha HP-1 headphones on my Kenwood TS-590.  I decided
they were too good for amateur radio and wanted to keep them in good condition.

I had followed the threads on the CM-500 and purchased Koss SB/45.  They are
far from the quality feel of the Yamaha but are reasonably comfortable and shut
out external sounds better.  I used them to make several CW DX QSO and they
worked fine.  Not as nice as the Yamaha for listening to the split pile up over
a 3 kHz span but quite adequate for the job.   Very few phone QSO with them but
no complaints with the frequency response.

I have not hooked up the microphone yet.

Andy, k3wyc