Email copied below is from a post I made
forum.  This email has some additional observations
made early this morning.  The shack temperature
was a New Hampshire-balmy 54F/12C.

73,
Mike, K8CN

-------------- begin copied email ---------------------------
Thanks, Jim.  Your suggestions had come
to mind earlier from my recollection of your
wise counsel to the various forums I read
daily.

Alas, the odd behavior I reported originally
occurs without any transmission at all - just
powered up the K3 in a cold room, started
tuning the band (any band) and heard the
relay clicking irregularly when either VFO A
or VFO B knobs are rotated across a few kHz to
tens of kHz.  Anomalous behavior is independent
of tuning rate.

To see if I could isolate which relay(s) is (are)
being activated by the VFO tuning, I went into
the CONFIG menu, disabled both the PA module
(KPA3A) and the ATU (KAT3),  powered down and
then powered back up.  If the Front Panel temperature
is at or below ~ 16C, then the relay clicking while tuning
either VFO A or VFO B persists until the Front Panel
temperature rises enough, then the clicking no longer
occurs.  The PA Temperature was fixed at about 13C,
its cold start-up temperature, because I did not transmit
or enable the ATU auto-tune.

It appears that the relay clicking may be emanating
from the LPF section on the RF board.  I listened carefully
with one ear in the open top of the K3 over the BPF section,
and those relays are not changing while tuning across a
single band.   With the LPF section of
the board now largely covered by the KPA3A PA module,
I can't put a finger on individual relays to see if one
particular relay is the source of the clicking.  I may
pull the PA module and replace the jumper block
to test whether this behavior is innate to the K3/10
configuration, but I'm loathe to do that until necessary.

One more observation: I've noticed on my P3 display
that when the relay clicks while tuning either VFO A
or VFO B, there is a narrow (in time) flat green line displayed
on the waterfall.  However, when I use the band switch to
change bands, the P3 waterfall shows a much wider dark
band until the IF signal is restored.

Operationally, the clicking is only annoying for the 15 minutes
or so it takes the Front Panel to warm up even if the room
temperature remains frosty (54F/12C) while I'm doing these
experiments.  Once the Front Panel is above 17C, I can't get
the relay clicking to occur while tuning either VFO A or VFO B.

I may try reloading the firmware when the rig is warm - my
prior MCU firmware version in the K3/10 was only one step
removed from the most current version (5.67), and the
DSP and FPF codes were already at the most recent versions.
I am wondering if there is a communication issue on the
serial control line from the MCU to the LPF relay controllers
that goes away as the MCU gets warm?

Thanks for the ideas, and 73,

Mike, K8CN