Andy,

You've answered your own question.  If it doesn't happen when the entire rig system transmits into a dummy load, but has problems while connected to an antenna; you know where to look.

In that search, high on the list of suspects (right up there with failure of any antenna elements) is damage from tiny livestock (mice, rats, birds that may have gotten into the attic or bugs like mud wasps); chewed wires, cables and insulators.

However with your extended time using a 40M antenna on 80M even at 250 watts, it's likely that some part of the antenna system (feed, chokes, transformers, wires etc) has broken down (high voltages are possible causes).  Something changed, you know where to look now.  Be ready to replace the antenna with the means to prevent another similar failure.

73,
Rick nk7i