Hi All,

I noticed when operating the ARRL 160 contest this weekend that my K3S has developed a nasty case of what appears to be some sort of LO spurious. When tuning across strong signals, I can now hear a low-level buzz (like phase noise reciprocal mixing) as I tune off them followed by a distinct tone peak 400 Hz off the fundamental frequency (as if there is a discrete spurious at that offset from the carrier frequency). I had noticed that a few days or weeks ago on one signal and dismissed it as being someone with a dirty transmit signal. After tuning across a number of strong signals on 160 and seeing the same phenomenon, it is clear that the problem is coming from my rig.

I don't know if the problem is showing up on my transmit signal as I haven't received any reports that I have a dirty transmit signal. I just listened to my carrier on a WebSDR and it sounds clean and I don't see any sidebands on the waterfall, so I think it may be confined to receive only.

So far I have been troubleshooting this remotely over the internet, so I haven't had a chance to twist knobs or look at the hidden menus carefully. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Is there some problem common to the K3S that manifests itself like this?

Thanks & 73,