This is all, unfortunately, in the proprietary part of the K2, the firmware. The K2 doesn't have a gain calibration tables, and I'm not sure if it even saves gain settings between transmissions.

With CW it will know that the first transmit level it sees is full power, so my guess is that it starts low and builds up to that, but for SSB, it won't know when the peak has been reached, so it is going to set the transmit gain before it reaches peak and then back it off, but there will be a delay in backing it off. Remember it is primarily a CW transmitter.

I would guess, to minimise this, you should set your audio drive levels low enough that it gets the correct power open loop.

To make things safe for your amplifier, I guess you would have to add an attenuator, so that maximum power will not overdrive the amplifier. However, I'm not sure that running at maximum power is good for clean signals.

I don't know if there is any open loop control between the power control and the transmit gain, or whether it totally relies on closed loop power control. Any open loop control would have to be a compromise, because of production spreads in the gain, so, on most instances, would end up too high, so as not to limit the maximum output.

I believe there is a gain calibration procedure on the K3 and K4, that allows those to make a reasonable open loop power setting at the start of a transmission.

--
David Woolley (owner K2 06123)