Jeff,

One thing I forgot. The KAT500 should only be in AUTO mode when you’re actually
training it. i.e. You tune the radio to a frequency, then TX (in TUNE mode) and
wait for the KAT500 to stop clicking. ISTR that when a solution is found, the
KAT500 TUNE light goes off and the solution is stored automatically. Then you
move to the next segment in the band. There’s a chart in the manual which gives
recommended segments for each tuning solution per band. If you’re not happy
with the 1st solution, you can force a finer tune by pressing the TUNE button
immediately after it stops tuning the 1st time.

For normal operation the KAT500 should always be in MANUAL mode. If the antenna
system changes (rain etc.,) you can force a retune at any time and it will be
stored.

If you can get hold of a copy of Fred Cady’s book on the KAT500/KPA500, you’ll
find it useful reading and IMO it explains things slightly better than the
standard manuals.

73,
Alan - G4GNX
South Coast UK
Elecraft K4D / KPA500 / KAT500 / IC-9700