Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CM 500 Ear Covers - Update
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 12:23:30 -0400
From: Joe Subich, W4TV <li...@subich.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net

A follow-up ...

Since I had two pairs of CM-500 that needed refurbishment
(my original pair - without any cushions - and my current
pair - that is starting to flake), I took a chance and
ordered cushions for the Koss QZPRO.
     <https://koss.com/products/qzpro-ear-cushion>
They arrived a couple weeks ago and appear to be a perfect
fit for the CM-500.  I would guess they are the same as the
suggested UR-20 cushions (which are "Sold Out").

As the foam was also gone (original pair) or falling apart
(current pair), I started looking for a suitable replacement
as I did not want to do a cut up sock and double stick tape
as suggested in one You Tube video.  I found these:
    <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WN8SWHR>
These are 90 mm round and I was able to simply tuck them
between the QZPRO cushions and the face of the CM-500
"speakers" after installing the new cushions.  There was
no need to cut them down to fit the recesses of the CM-500
and hold them in place using double stick tape.  The foam
is a bit thicker and softer than the original Yamaha (Koss).

Finally, and probably not necessary, I added cloth covers ...
    <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B7JCY8H>
Although I took a chance and got a spare set of the cushions and
foam disks for each of my CM-500s, I decided the extra protection
from sweat, etc. was probably worthwhile for the long term.  I
went with black but a station with multiple operators could use
a different color for each operator.

All in all, replacing the cushions and adding new foam is quite
easy - no broken speaker wires if one is careful.  Getting to
the three screws (Phillips #0) is easy once one learns where
they are (front and +/- 120 degrees).  For $18 total per headset
for cushions ($5), foam disks ($9) and covers ($8 for 2 pair)
the cost is far less than an equivalent replacement headset
(the CM-500 is currently $60 on Amazon).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV