There is no engineering reason for soldering as you go a la Heathkit vs.
installing groups of components and then soldering them. I have  had both
problems mentioned by Skip in my years of building kits:  overlooked solder
joints and components in the wrong holes.  In my experience, looking for a
missed solder joint is preferable to removing a mis-installed component
that might damage the traces and/or the component.

When I built my K2 #6011 about 12 years ago, I followed the instructions in
the manual believing the beta testers of the kit were far more experienced
than me in the building process that would produce the best outcome.  I can
recall building other kits where I had soldered-on-way all of one kind of
component only to find the last remaining part was not what it should have
been. Arghhh!

In the final analysis, it’s probably a personal preference of the builder
as to which process to use. I have one of the components testers mentioned
that is invaluable in determining component values with my aging 81 year
old eyes.  Color codes on resistors made today are hard enough, and tiny
black letters on NP0 capacitors that are blue are impossible for me to
discern.

Now…enough talking and time for me to tackle one of my YUK (Yet Unbuilt
Kits).  Let the Melt Solder begin.

Clark / WU4B

Sent from Gmail Mobile